Friday, January 11, 2013

Guyana Report #2


Thursday, January 10

Guyana lives up to its description – a land of adventure. We’ve had rough times, but we’ve also
had very good times – encouraging, strengthening, and fulfilling times. It’s surprising to me the
range of emotions one can feel in 24 hours! In the capitol, Georgetown, we stopped at Pastor
Mike’s house, the man who owns the house we are staying in while here. While swinging in his
hammock with the warm breeze blowing over me, I thought, “Wow, it is SO good to be back in
Guyana.” Later that evening, I was wondering if it had all been worth the effort. The trip here, a
total of about 27 hours, was very tiring, but we all survived. J After a couple hours in the house
where we’ve been staying, we were again on the road to a little church about 45 min. away,
down a road where the potholes are so big you go at a snail’s pace. Andrew preached there that
night and the next morning.

I’ve been able to go to two schools with our team and do a program. I’ve also helped out/taught
a couple children’s crusades, and tonight was the first night that we had three children’s teams
going at the same time, as well as three evangelists preaching (Andrew, his dad, and Nick
Armstrong).

On Tuesday we pushed out into the Corentyne River for a 2 ½ hour boat ride to Orealla, an
Amerindian village that is only accessible by water. Andrew’s dad mentioned that Orealla is like
the rest of Guyana was when he first started ministering there 20 years ago. We got there late (as
you do for about any appointment) and Andrew and I had 30 min. to spruce up for the marriage
seminar, held in their open-air, thatch-roof tabernacle. This is my second marriage seminar to
teach in Guyana, and both times I’ve felt very undeserving of the role, seeing that most or all of
the couples I’m talking to have been married for longer than I have. However, I have to remind
myself that there are timeless truths that aptly apply to those married 3 years or those married
40 years. The seminar went great, and feedback was good. I really enjoyed teaching it, as I think
the marriage relationship is so fun to talk about. J That night was pretty miserable, camping out
on two mattresses on the platform of their un-air-conditioned, non-fan chapel, with two children
who weren’t nearly as tired as their parents. However, after everyone fell asleep we had a good
rest. After visiting their school, the trip home was a lot better than the trip there, and Andrew and
I actually got to ride on a jet-ski together part of the way back.

I was travelling with Andrew some in the evenings, but we decided (much to my relief) that I
would stay here at the house with Justice and conduct a children’s time here. We had our first
one tonight, showing the dvd of William Booth to the kids, and then doing activities afterwards.
It turned out great, and I’m looking forward to future nights.

That’s what our schedule kind of looks like. Amos has loved it here, and Justice is doing fine.
Having the boys here with us has definitely been much more of a challenge than coming alone,
but it’s been a good learning experience. I’m so thankful for all the help from each member of
our team.

Sickness has been a trial for many on the team – Andrew has been putting up with a fever the
past two days, and others had it before him. Grace McIntosh lost her voice last night, and has
been having to talk in a whisper for most of the day today. Justice has gotten the eye infection
that Amos had before we left. Everyone has been amazing at pressing through their physical
conditions and ministering anyway – it’s been an inspiration. Please pray with us that this will all
clear up very soon.

I’ve enjoyed getting to know a young woman who’s our neighbor – Zaleena. She has only
been a Christian for about six months. Her family is Muslim, and she and her husband decided
last summer that they wanted to have an official wedding, so they asked the pastor of a nearby
church to conduct the ceremony. He invited them to church, and she said, “I never stopped. It
just gets sweeter and sweeter, and I just keep growing and growing.” She goes to every service
she can, and she has been so helpful with the ministry we’ve done in the neighborhood. Joel is
another amazing young man – he’s 14, and has the desire to be a preacher. He is so sweet and
so eager to attend everything he can. He has been taking the class on the Prison Epistles from
Andrew’s dad, and has also travelled long distances to be in services with the team. He’s coming
this weekend to stay with us for a few nights to get more time in together.

We do believe some have accepted Christ as their Savior while we’ve been here, and we are
very thankful for that! The responses at the crusades have been very free, as people have come
forward to commit or re-commit to a deeper walk with Christ. The most fulfilling times for me
have been teaching about Christ and how He works in our lives, and spending time with my
boys.

All for now – hopefully I will be able to post one more report before we come back.

2 comments:

  1. You guys are amazing! Really enjoyed the report. Thankful for the work God is doing. Sounds like refreshing waters for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: around 40 children came last night for the dvd on Perpetua (a girl who died in the arena for her faith)! And I had given them a challenge the first night to tell someone about Jesus before we got together again, so last night I asked who had done it. 4-5 kids raised their hands, and at least 4 of them gave the specific names of their friends who they told Jesus to. That was pretty cool! And an answer to prayer.

    ReplyDelete